Best Indoor Grills
Poor weather ruining your grilling season? Craving the satisfaction of grilled food but limited due to the confines of an apartment or condo balcony? Stuck trying to find an inside friendly grill that performs similarly to your large outdoor gas grill? We review the top rated indoor grills available on the market today. There are…
Poor weather ruining your grilling season? Craving the satisfaction of grilled food but limited due to the confines of an apartment or condo balcony? Stuck trying to find an inside friendly grill that performs similarly to your large outdoor gas grill? We review the top rated indoor grills available on the market today. There are so many to consider but this review will get you looking at the most regarded options.
Picking a reliable and trusted countertop grill for meat and veggies goes beyond looking at aesthetics or pricing. It’s more of a science! Over the past two decades, I have had the rare privilege of using some of the best smokeless indoor grills on the market. I still prefer my outdoor gas, charcoal and pellet grills over these units however during the cold winters, these will get you by.
Now, it’s time to bring that experience to your doorstep. Let’s have a look!
Our Favorite Top 5
|Cuisinart Griddler Five||CHECK PRICE|
|Philips Smokeless Indoor Grill||CHECK PRICE|
|Gotham Steel Smokeless Grill||CHECK PRICE|
|Hamilton Beach Searing Grill||CHECK PRICE|
|Granitestone Diamond Indoor Grill||CHECK PRICE|
How to choose the Best Indoor Grills: Things to Consider
The right grill can make all the difference, with what you can achieve in the kitchen. When picking the best countertop grill, there are several key factors to consider:
Purpose & Size
The first factor in choosing these grills is to take into consideration the purpose. We all lead different lifestyles. Your lifestyle will influence what you need and what you should purchase. For example, I love cooking. I prepare veggies, meat, and all things cooking every day. I have a family of 4 and we all LOVE to eat! The size of the countertop grill or barbeque grill is very important to me.
For someone who rarely cooks or travels often, you might want to consider something more portable and with a smaller grilling surface. As for size, most indoor grills have the capability of serving medium to large families.
Design & Heating elements
Indoor grills come in two variations for the grate or heat source. The heating source is an essential factor because it determines how hot or fast the grills can get. Always work with grills with temperature control and high energy efficiency.
Higher heat can offer better searing of larger cuts of meat. Indoor grills simply will not get as hot as your outdoor grill or BBQ; it’s not even a fair comparison when it comes to high heating. However, a decent grill will allow you to grill up to 450 F.
Another variable when looking at these grills is the material the grilling surfaces are made of. Cast iron vs nonstick. Nonstick grill surfaces are easy to clean. However, they also scratch with ease. Cast iron surfaces offer excellent heat transfer but can be difficult to clean. You have to decide what is more important to you, clean-ability or cooking-ability.
Of course, budget always plays a roll. Your budget may limit you or give you the freedom to select any top-rated indoor grill. Our top rated grills are selected with not only performance in mind, but also budget.
Fortunately, indoor grills are more affordable than charcoal-fed or gas-fueled grills. But the grills with the essential functions like preheating, grilling, warming, interior quality (inside grill) cost between $50 to $200. Extra features like specific meal cooking or defrosting will increase the price up towards $400.
Ease of cleaning
The make of the grill will determine how easy it is to clean. Most inside grills have a nonstick coating, and that makes it easier to hand wash. Also, stainless steel and coated steel grates work well for dishwashers, unlike uncoated cast-iron grates.
A big drip tray will help limit the overflow of food drippings and fatty substances when cooking. This tray is handy for containing the drippings, but keep in mind it too will need to be cleaned. Take note when looking at the grill you chose to purchase.
Are you aware that over 10,000 home fires in the US are attributable to grills every year? The figures are double that amount for injuries, due to the wrong use of grills. You have to understand the safety concerns of using a grill inside vs an outdoor rated grill.
That’s one reason to take grill safety requirements seriously. Things to look out for include:
- Heat-insulation – adjustable lid cover, insulated handles, cool-touch surfaces.
- Electricity control – kill switch, automatic on/off, long power cords.
- Heat- grills with temperature control, consistent temperature
- Smokeless grill compatibility.
What are the Benefits of Indoor Grills?
Cooking with these grill types are generally easier than cooking with outdoor gas, fire, or smoke stoves. They are easy to set and they heat up fast. One of the reasons I like using indoor electric grills is that temperature control makes the heating process automatic. It can self-regulate the heat from low to high.
Using indoor grills year round can ensure you eat healthy meals. Grilling reduces the fatty content. They also allow you to grill that juicy burger any time of year or in any kind of weather.
Safety Tips for Grilling
Accidents sometimes occur when cooking with either electrical or heat-related grills. But you can reduce the possibility of a slip or a spill by taking note of the following:
- Working on a flat surface is the #1 rule to avoid a spill. A grill with a sturdy base makes all the difference.
- Avoid wearing loose clothing when grilling to reduce the potential of contact with fire.
- Maintain a close watch on your grills to eliminate burning.
- For meat, always allow the grill to heat before placing it on top. It will give you the ability to sear your meat if required.
- Do not overfill the grill surface. Small amounts of food at one time cook better. Placing too much food at once will slow the heating process and delay the cooking.
- Cooking with an indoor grill may take a little longer than the regular gas or stove burner. So, please allow some more time for cooking.
- Always have a fire extinguisher nearby your grilling area, to avert fire disaster.
- Use long utensils always to avoid getting burnt.
- Maintain a distance of about 12″ between the grill and yourself. It will help reduce the chance of grease splatter contacting you.
- Always read the user manual before assembling the grill.
- Unplug the grill immediately after cooking.
- Only clean the grill when it is cool.
Our Top 5 Grills
Philips Smokeless Indoor BBQ Grill Avance Collection – Best Technology
What We Like…
- Advanced infrared technology at 446 F ensures fast and even heating of meats to perfection.
- Using infrared heating does not emit smoke, like the gas or charcoal grills.
- As much as 112 square inch grilling surface gives you ample grilling space.
- Offload and use within a few minutes as it requires no assembling of parts.
What Make Us Angry…
- Constant viewing of infrared light can cause harm to your vision.
- Infrared requires a steady heat source to heat fast and consistently.
- No temperature control can make grilling certain meats challenging
There are plenty of reasons to select the Philips Smokeless Indoor BBQ Grill Avance. Philips works using advanced infrared technology plus reflectors to help channel the heat. You get evenly distributed heat for grilling your meat and veggies within a few minutes.
Philips smokeless grill ensures you get a smokeless cooking experience in the kitchen. The drip tray beneath the grill safeguards your grill from emitting smoke while cooking.
Philips smokeless ‘warm’ and ón’ make things heat up within minutes. And since it is a nonstick coating grill, you will find it easy to wipe clean.
Another benefit to purchasing the avance grill is the free 30-page color booklet with grilling recipes. The composition is so simple, it only takes about a minute to assemble and commence grilling.
Cuisinart Griddler Five – Best Overall
What We Like…
- The 5-in-1 grilling options allows for versatility to prepare multiple meals.
- It comes with an on/off button, an LCD screen, and a confirm dial to regulate temperature and time.
- The size makes for excellent space management for tiny houses or your dorm!
- A Nonstick grill allows for easy cleaning.
What Makes us Angry…
- No auto shutoff button but uses manual operations.
- You need to order a waffle plate or attachment separately.
- It does not have a separate temperature regulator for each aspect.
If you have been around long enough, then you should know the Cuisinart family has a reputation for making excellent products. The Cuisinart Five offers an extremely versatile, multi-functional grill with several options – full griddle, full grill, contact grill, half grill/half griddle, and Panini press.
Cuisinart is our top rated countertop grills that we love to use. It gives us the most options for grilling meat, fish, veggies, and fruits.
Cuisinart comes in a stylish design and contains many features such as, a removable griddle plate, grill plate, sandwich plate, waffle plate, and a drip tray to give you varied grilling experiences.
Its nonstick surfaces help to easily slide food off the grill, especially burnt food. You can clean spills with ease either by hand or a dishwasher.
Being able to regulate the heat temperature at 175°F to 450°F means Cuisinart evenly heats to whatever your temperature requirements may be.
It offers the opportunity of grilling two different items using different plates. So, enjoy your cooking experience in half the time.
This compact grill comes with a lid hinge that literarily floats and can be adjusted manually. As a result of its size, you are sure to maximize space. It is a good option for kitchens with limited space.
Gotham Steel Smokeless Ti Cerama Electric Grill – Best Budget-Friendly Grill
What We Like…
- The automatic shutoff and timer are great for regulating meal preparation.
- The drip tray helps remove fat and gives you a healthy meal
- Perfect size for small spaces and tiny houses
- Removal surface and nonstick makes for easy and convenient cleaning.
What Makes Us Angry…
- The non-durable nonstick coating wears off over time due to heat.
- No top cover lid.
- Not suitable for larger families.
- Not dishwasher friendly
The Gotham Steel Large Smokeless Ti Cerama Electric Grills offers you an exceptional nonstick surface. Its heated grill grate provides a smokeless grilling experience.
The cool drip pan typically collects the fat and oil to give you a more healthy meal with less cholesterol. Using a nonstick ceramic surface and grill plate at 450 F will ensure even heat distribution, so you get the best of each meal.
With the temperature dial, you are more confident of even heat distribution for all meal types.
It comprises of the Ti-Cerama surface, which consists of strong titanium and super slick ceramic. A sticky or scratched grill will not occur with the Gotham smokeless electric grill. Now, you have one more reason to grill your bbq hotdogs, hamburgers, chicken, fish, and even desserts right in your kitchen, without complications.
The Gotham Steel Large Smokeless Ti Cerame Electric Grills comes with a 90-day money-back guarantee policy. So in case, Gotham does not reflect your lifestyle, you have as much as 90 days to return it to the company.
Hamilton Beach Searing Grill – Best Runner-Up
What We Like…
- Higher heat searing capacity at 450 F best for tendering meat and steaks.
- Lid cover helps retain heat and nutrients.
- Removable surfaces allow you clean by hand or dish-wash with ease.
- Adjustable temperature control helps regulate heating for each meal.
What Makes Us Angry…
- A short power cord requires an extension cord for far wall power outlets.
- Avoid sharp utensils or hard contact with the nonstick surface.
If you are all about looks, Hamilton Beach searing grill comes in an ergonomic design and a large drip tray.
Hamilton Beach engineered the hood/cover very large which helps keep grease splatter to a minimum.
Three exceptional features make Hamilton a great buy. With a top cover, drip tray, and temperature control running up to 450 Fahrenheit, it gives you the leeway to enjoy even heating. With a drip tray the fatty foods are still able to remove the excess fat, while the cover helps lock in the aroma and nutritional value.
With a removable and nonstick surface, it doesn’t take long to clean the Hamilton grill. And since it is dishwasher safe, you can clean them with ease.
At 1200W and 110V, you get ample power to manage the grilling operations.
Granitestone Diamond Smokeless Indoor Electric Grill -Best Smokeless Grill
What We Like…
- Multiple heat settings comprising low, warm, high, and medium.
- Temperature dial and heater helps maintain even heating on the surface
- Grills variety of meals without smoking
- Removable parts for easy cleaning
What Makes Us Angry…
- Suitable for small size family use.
- A short power cord makes moving to a further distance impossible without an extension chord.
When shopping for a great way to cook meat indoors with a an indoor smokeless barbecue, the Granite Diamond smokeless comes to mind. It uses a triple-layer non-stick titanium and diamond coating to help you grill your meat with ease.
Titanium and diamond also help induce even heating of your meal, so it grills till its tender. Having a large surface means you can get a little more on the grill for an additional one or two people. This grill can easily fit 9 – 10 burgers for family and friends!
Since Granite Diamond is Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) free, you can enjoy healthier meals uncontaminated. And with the oil drip pan, you get less fatty and cholesterol-free foods.
The temperature control also gives you peace of mind that you will get no surprises of over cooked or under cooked meat on your grill. And because it is a smokeless grill, you don’t have to worry about dealing with smoke detector alarms.
Using heat-proof handles makes it cool to touch the Granite Diamond frames and not get burnt in the process. However, I always recommend using a towel when touching surfaces that emit any form of heat.
Now, it’s time to give the final verdict for our favorite grill to help advance your culinary skills. And the winner is; Cuisinart Griddler Five!
For every reason, the Cuisinart Griddler is the product to beat. It offers something for everyone. That means with it, you can cover almost any and every type of grilling need. That makes it perfect for vegans, those on a keto plan, dieters, or grillers alike.
No doubt, Philip’s impressive tech plus infrared heating system is an excellent concept. However, considering that infrared heating has a more gradual heat; this gives Cuisinart an edge. All the products in this category have approximately 450 F, so there’s a tie there. Philips does not offer a temperature control system, while Cuisinart goes a step further with its LCD screen.
Granite Diamond will work best for smaller family needs or a light eater due to its size. Otherwise, it has impressive features.
The Hamilton Sears seems to offer similar options to the Cuisinart; but no other unique value that the Cuisinart does not already provide. Cuisinart has a little more variety than Hamilton.
Gotham steel large smokeless Ti-Cerama could have taken the lead, except that it is a lower budget grill and does not have the long standing quality reputation compared to Cuisinart. However the options of titanium and ceramic is an advantage that favors of the Gotham.
The options are endless in this category of grills. For some, the price might be a determining factor for picking an indoor barbecue grill or any grill for that matter. At the end of the day they all fulfill at least 70% of what you should consider when purchasing your next grill. You really can’t go wrong purchasing any of these.
If your more interested in outdoor grilling or smoking check out our other reviews.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *