There comes a time when every adult has to stop making Kraft Dinner and actually figure out a delicious homemade smoked mac and cheese recipe. It took me 25 years until I attempted my first mac and cheese meal. It turned out great! Even more exciting, it’s actually quite easy to make! A all-time favorite for both my daughters……a must have for their birthday dinners.
Once you read the ingredients list you will see how this isn’t a “lite” recipe by any means. The recipe is loaded with dairy, but that’s what makes it great. I am picky with the cheeses I use with this recipe. Please don’t be like my wife and think you can substitute just any cheese into this recipe. You will regret it, I promise. I believe old sharp cheddars really make a difference, so you might want to spend some extra time looking for these at your grocery store. You could also substitute the cheddar or gouda for velveeta cheese. Velveeta cheese really adds a creamy texture.
The final step is to bake the mac and cheese in the oven, but I put mine in the pellet smoker for 30 mins instead. (You could also use a charcoal grill with wood chips to smoke). The best mac and cheese recipe is a smoked mac and cheese recipe. I smoke my mac and cheese with cherry wood. The smoky flavor compliments this dish; elevating it to extra-ordinary. This is the perfect side to some smoked brisket.
Mac and Cheese
- Medium saucepan
- Small saucepan
- Large mixing bowl
- Mixing spoons
- Cheese grater
- 9 ½” x 11” x 2” Foil Pan
- 1 16 ounce box Macaroni Premium grade
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/4 cup White flour
- 1 8 ounce container Whipped cream cheese Whipped melts better than the "original"
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 8 ounce block Old cheddar cheese (shredded) The sharper, the better!
- 1 8 ounce block Gouda (shredded) Can substitute with Velveeta
- 1 4 ounce block Parmesan (shredded)
- 3 cup milk
- Cook macaroni as per instructions on the box. I always add a pinch of salt to my water to add flavor. I make mine al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes on medium heat. Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil making sure not to burn. Reduce heat to low and stir in whipped cream cheese, and salt. Mix until completely smooth.
- Preheat oven or smoker to 275F. Oil or butter the inside of the foil pan completely.
- In a very large mixing bowl, combine all the shredded cheeses with the sauce and macaroni. Mix until all the cheese and sauce is distributed evenly. Spoon into the foil tray or baking dish.
- Bake or Smoke for 30-45 minutes until the mac and cheese is starting to bubble.